Today is National Margarita Day, so what better way to celebrate than sharing our Authentic Mexican Margarita recipe?!
The best way to ignite memories from your travels is through cuisine. Bringing the flavors of your vacation home to your kitchen will remind you of your passion for traveling. If you close your eyes while sipping this delicious margarita, you are sure to picture yourself relaxing on the beach.
Maybe in a hammock on the beach in Cozumel, Mexico.
Authentic Margarita Recipe
To make an authentic margarita, skip the pre-made mix and start with squeezing fresh limes. It takes roughly two full limes to equal two ounces of lime juice.
We add Cointreau to our margaritas. It’s an orange spirit brand of triple sec produced in France.
Then add your tequila of choice, we used a silver tequila. Add one ounce of tequila and one ounce of Cointreau. Roughly one shot glass of each.
To give your margarita a little sweetness and balance the bitter lime, add some honey water! Mix honey into half a shot glass of water and mix well. Slowly add to your margarita per taste.
Mix all your margarita ingredients in your shaker.
Do you like your margarita with a salted rim glass?
Take your lime slice and rub around the rim of your glass. The dip in a bowl or plate of sea salt. Perfection.
Add crushed ice to your glass and pour your margarita in.
What is your favorite way to drink a margarita: on the rocks or frozen?
- 2oz fresh lime juice - 2 hand squeezed limes
- 1oz Tequila - brand of choice
- 1oz Cointreau
- splash of honey water - added sweetness per taste
- sea salt - garnish rim of glass
- lime slice - garnish
- Squeeze fresh limes into a bowl.
- Pour two shot glasses of fresh squeezed lime juice in shaker.
- Add one shot glass of Cointreau to shaker.
- Add one shot glass of Tequila.
- Fill half a shot glass with water, then squeeze raw honey into the shot glass.
- Mix well.
- Slowly pour your honey water into your shaker until you reach desired sweetness. Start with half a shot glass before adding more.
- Shake your margarita mix.
- Rub sliced lime around rim of glass.
- Dip glass into plate or bowl of sea salt.
- Pour margarita over crushed ice.