One of my favorite parts of traveling is the variety in cuisine. It is always nice to taste the different kinds of food around the world and compare them to back home. Since we are not always able to travel to our dream destinations when we want, preparing treats at home is a way to get a ‘taste’ of other countries from your home kitchen.
South African Chocolate Crunchies
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 tbsp syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
Ingredients for Icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the crunchies, except for the baking soda.
- Melt the butter and syrup together. Mix in the baking soda.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mix well.
- Press into a medium sized greased baking pan, about 10 by 8 inches. Use the back of a spoon to press the mixture together and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix together the icing ingredients.
- Put in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the hot icing over the hot crunchies to cover their entire surface. 10. Cut into squares when cool.
Thanks to Little Passports for sharing this recipe with us.